Drilling Engineer Jobs
DTC frequently has drilling engineer jobs available in basins throughout the U.S. We are looking for engineers with extensive drilling experience and strong leadership skills.
The Drilling Engineer is in charge of the development, planning, cost management and operations of drilling oil and gas wells. This position is involved from initial well design to testing, completion and abandonment.
- Designing drilling programs in accordance with industry-recognized technical criteria and applicable drilling regulations to achieve exploration objectives in a safe and cost effective manner:
- Designing well programs (e.g., casing sizes and setting depths) to prevent blowouts, while allowing adequate formation evaluation.
- Designing or contributing to the design of casing strings and cementing plans, directional drilling plans, drilling fluids programs, and drill string and drill bit programs.
- Specifying equipment, material, ratings and grades to be used in the drilling process.
- Providing technical and audit support during the drilling process.
- Performing cost estimates and analysis.
- Designing wellbore hydraulics and BHAs to maximize bit life and drilling rate.
- Ensuring procedures are technically valid and applicable to the specific well conditions.
- Monitoring and evaluating well conditions.
- Communicating with Service Contractors about technical issues and any changes in the drilling program.
- Developing contracts with vendors.
- Ensuring all routine drilling and cost control reports are accurate, complete and timely.
- Observing all company health, safety and environmental instructions as well as acting in a safe manner and avoiding unnecessary risks to themselves and others.
- Immediately reporting any unsafe conditions or activities, dangerous occurrences or injuries in the workplace.
- B.S. Engineering (petroleum preferred)
- 5 years minimum (8-10 years preferred) oil and gas drilling and workover engineering experience in oil and gas exploration and development operations, including:
- drilling or completions
- bit, reamer, and bottom hole assembly selection
- drill string design, including consideration for slip crushing
- torque and drag, hydraulics, drilling fluids
- directional well planning
- performance of full probabilistic cost estimates
- casing design
- preparation of APDs and drilling programs
- Ability to be available 24 hours per day (on call for questions, emergencies, etc.).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, other departments, officials, and the public.
- Self-starter with proven leadership skills, team player, and comfortable working under pressure.
- Ability to complete multiple, diverse tasks of differing priorities.